Saturday, July 20, 2019

The Last One

still dark ahead of me
a fox stands in the road
senses me, nose high wheels & lopes away
the moon’s chin nibbled
cloud a dolphin birthed from a smoking volcano
three dolphins rummage a marsh creek


two blocks further a second fox
dead in the road
abdomen neatly torn, yellow coils
auburn coat, white-tipped tail
slender legs, black feet stilled
the mouth smiles, every moment this joy

two feet in each hand I could but don’t
flip it into the ditch for gleaning
back home hummingbirds weave the garden
I fail to turn on a light
burn the bacon, overcook the egg
any fox, this fox, could be the last one











Vox Humana
by Thomas Gunn

Being without quality
I appear to you at first
as an unkempt smudge, a blur,
an indefinite haze, merely
pricking the eyes, almost
nothing. Yet you perceive me.

I have been always most close
when you had least resistance,
falling asleep, or in bars;
during the unscheduled hours,
though strangely without substance,
I hang, there and ominous.

Aha, sooner or later
you will have to name me, and,
as you name, I shall focus,
I shall become more precise.
O Master (for you command
in naming me, you prefer)!

I was, for Alexander,
the certain victory; I
was hemlock for Socrates;
and, in the dry night, Brutus
waking before Philippi
stopped me, crying out ‘Caesar!’

Or if you call me the blur
that in fact I am, you shall
yourself remain blurred, hanging
like smoke indoors. For you bring,
to what you define now, all
there is, ever, of future.

No comments:

Post a Comment