Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Is It Not Midsummer?

90s most of the day, 80s all night
meteorologists make no mention of
cooling thunderstorms midafternoon
this here up-&-eve country where
if you don’t work outside in early morning
you’re not likely to work outside at all
6 am on the bicycle, lights fore & aft
raccoon posse zigzags across the road
one large, three small marauders
the same, I’ll guess, who nibble my compost
overnight & why shouldn’t they? 
redbirds swoop from tree to hedge to lawn
a bat shaves my eyebrows, foxes
a pair, necks & tails long, noses
reconnoitering, middle of road converse
stare piercingly toward me, wheel & lope
for swampy brush, they disappear
faster than I can see, overhead
woodstorks, like giant flying commas
soar south & west, water birds
aim away from the rising sun
snug in trees song birds trill
woken, the great blue heron rasps
mist the height of a wolf, top of a pole
a black vulture, out too early
something disturbed it, movie folk
as many as 25 vehicles rutting
two fields for most of the summer, go
away, intruders, blood red burn
the sun rises, looms navel orange
three red trucks in one driveway
smell of cut grass, mud, morning














Iceland
by Eugenio Montejo

Iceland, so this is how you keep your distance,
your icy mists, your fjords
where people speak in dialects of ice.
Iceland so close to the Pole,
purified by nights
of suckling whales.
Iceland sketched in my journal,
illusion and sorrow (or vice versa).
Could anything be more dire than this desire
to take myself to Iceland and chant your sagas,
tramp your salty fogs?
My country’s sun
burns so,
it makes me dream of your winters.
This equatorial riddle
of searching for snow
that holds heat in its heart
& doesn’t wither the leaves of cedars.
I’ll never make it to Iceland. It’s very far.
So many degrees below zero.
I’ll fold the map to feel closer.
I’ll glaze your fjords with forests of palm.

translated by Carol Peters

No comments:

Post a Comment