Friday, February 8, 2019

Lips Open Upside Down

morning’s maples wing
day light spring sky
shiny blackbird aloft
red of redbird, blue of bluebird
common names for things
a triangle might be greenbrier
tho I don’t know it
why is a name a noun?
beaver vs cuts-down-trees
ginkgo vs ruffed or splay
dolphins at the fishing pier
lips open upside down
swim by feeding
in my world placards would say
use any toilet you want
her lines say we & you
Aymaras look forward at the past
know the future approaches
from behind
Beatrice hunts a bee
catches & loses a marsh rat
I often lose names
every day I nap
I might, I need not
wake for another morning









Nothing Is Too Small Not to Be Wondered About
by Mary Oliver

The cricket doesn’t wonder
  if there’s a heaven
or, if there is, if there’s room for him.

It’s fall. Romance is over. Still, he sings.
If he can, he enters a house
  through the tiniest crack under the door.
Then the house grows colder.

He sings slower & slower.
  Then, nothing.

This must mean something. I don’t know what.
   But certainly it doesn’t mean
he hasn’t been an excellent cricket
  all his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment