Monday, February 11, 2019

Beyond Me

So many men I remember looking askew
at me, wondering, What are you?
I both knew & wondered too.
What I was came out of me & bruised
others though I didn’t intend to.
Women too, they saw me as a threat
who would take their husbands.
I didn’t want their husbands, I wanted
their husbands’ knowledge, so I could build
something, I didn’t know what,
it didn’t matter what, building took me
out of myself & into a world
where I didn’t exist except
in what I built, something beyond me.













Out here it's okay to be nothing. Want nothing. You feel
ashamed for a second then it's time to get moving. Get moving,T. says.
Or was it, Get loving? I wanted to stay in bed inside the tent. To hear all
the people breathing like we do until the tent's a hothouse or the inside
of a rocket ship. It's okay to cry sometimes, which seems strange to say.
In the films they make you stop. Not out here. It's okay to shake and say
I don't know or Please again and again. Someone's hand will find you.
Someone will ruffle your hair. Have you ever had a person say It’s okay,
softly to you in the darkness? Keep your eyes shut and say it to yourself
and imagine. A voice different from yours. Let the sun come up inside
your mind.

— Gabrielle Calvocoressi

No comments:

Post a Comment