Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Sunrise

fat bluebirds, grackles line the wire
juvenile hawk, one foot outstretched
another hawk perched now flies

directly overhead a pod of egrets
I’m surprised to see them socialize

great blue heron hunched, vast
swivels its head to watch me pass

pink swizzles all across the sky
sun rises orange blinding my eyes
I turn away, want to look again
peek & look aside

                             one thin dove
rocks above my head, slips, or dives















Poem with Undergrowth and Two Figures
by C. D. Wright

If it rained today they would not go
to Wolf Spring. They would stay
inside the glass house on the lake.
Not see the black snake stretched
over the road. Not see the horse
and rider disappear into the drenched
tones of foliage. Not come upon
the clearing where the stench
of a dead animal quells the sound
or the smoke-streaked glimpse of her
boiling clothes in an iron pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment