Monday, January 21, 2019

Cataract

I lie flat on my back
on a stretcher in the OR
tape across my forehead
holds my head in place
soft cuffs bind my hands
I feel my eyelid blink
I ask if I blinked
I feel more blinks
no, the speculum
is holding my eyelids open
oxygen feeds my nostrils
Why, I ask
tubes along my cheeks
I can picture these things
though I can’t see them
a plastic sheet is drawn
across my face
That’s why!
fingers make an opening
above my eye
a microscope suspends
its two oculars
Look at the light
a very bright light
George’s fingers block it
he says it will dim
his fingers move away
still bright
liquid flushes my eye
billows of clear jelly
pile up from right to left
I breathe & meditate
How are you doing, Carol
they ask, I’m doing very well
thank you, I reply
followed by the name
of whoever's speaking
as instructed, I stare
at the light, three lights
brightest on the right
the pair on the left
each a bundle
of sheared-off rods
purest white
primary red swirls
between the lights
primary blue, yellow
the colors chase
& drain away
now back to white
now back to color
after a while
the lights dim
it’s dark, am I blind?
George asks for the IOL
Some pressure now, Carol
he says & presses
the acrylic lens
onto my eye
I feel it pushed
& positioned
at what point
was or wasn’t my eye
an eye?
once again
the lights are bright
That’s it, George says
Good job, I say
Perfect, he says
& a pause
Seven minutes
he says with satisfaction
it seemed like ten
for the first nights
a fringed halo circles
every outside light
I call it the lens’s
rim, rooting


No comments:

Post a Comment