Friday, April 17, 2020

Stones

curious to live on an earth without stones, no stones at all
as if the soil were a pure mud, partially dried out & willing to be soil
loam, tilth, sand — under some of my mulch the not
even half-rotted contents of my compost bins, material to raise
the elevation, my bins are full again, full of spring weeds
supplemented with prunings, kitchen waste, paper waste
what is waste? some waste I cover with weed, some waste
I package in plastic & toss back to the world, which has no way
to dispose of it, as I have no way, I have no woods to carry
gnawed bones to, though now I do put metal in the compost
nails & screws, I leave brads in cardboard slabs, I’m restoring
base elements to the earth where they came from
rocks are something you can discover & collect & pile up
or mix into the soil to lighten it, my soil is a damp mound
sometimes a slurry, as it is out front on the west & puddling side
after yesterday’s hard rain, hard & heavy, yet pollen in yellow smears
still marks the front porch, it will take a bucket & a mop to clear them
according to McPhee geologists are constantly hammering at rocks
filling bags with rocks, carrying them home on airplanes
what’ve you got in here, rocks? McPhee claims
that plate tectonics is the theory theorists love
but rock hunters love the greater complexity of break-rock geology
machines detect the shape of what’s under
soil, the depth of harder rock, of thickness & angles
what can’t be plumbed by machinery? plumbing not the same
as understanding, more like touch & wonder

No comments:

Post a Comment