Monday, November 19, 2018

Thanksgiving

Because it’s about to be United States
Thanksgiving I’m making Hawaii-style
Portuguese bean soup the day
before & sourdough loaf from yeasts
captured from South Carolina air.
I need a heating pad to wrap the rising
dough, just as five decades ago
I wrapped cultured milk to ferment yogurt.
My boys were babies. Five gallons of raw
milk we carried home each week
(we owned the five-gallon stainless
can) from the nearby Verrell's dairy farm,
also the source of a long-haired black
kitten who lasted until the boys were grown.
Along with yogurt I made egg custard,
rice pudding, Indian pudding, heated
milk on the stove (pre-microwave)
to fill Matt’s cup, Ben’s bottle,
my mug. Some of us, because we yet
have homes, we are still fed.


No comments:

Post a Comment